Dr Robert Marsden is currently Head of Department of Media, Performance and Communication and Associate Professor at Staffordshire University. Profile link: here
Robert specialises in the Theory and Practice of Acting and Directing (in particular, rehearsal room methodologies including the director/actor/text relationship), Heightened Text, company development and the classics.
In directing student productions he believes that in teaching acting and rehearsal methodologies through production work (both implicitly and explicitly) is the key to embodying skills, knowledge and understanding.
He believes authentic assessment and professional learning, where students embrace their field in the learning they are following, are key to engagement and learning.
He is also a Fellow of Teaching and Learning at the University and a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA).
Undergraduate student productions directed include:
Restoration Comedy: The Country Wife (Wycheley); The Man of Mode (Etheridge).
Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night’s Dream, As You Like It, The Winter’s Tale, Othello, Measure for Measure, Timon of Athens.
Jacobean Tragedy: The Changeling (Middleton/Rowley)
Russian: The Storm (Ostrovsky); Government Inspector (Harrower/Gogol)
Spanish: The House of Bernarda Alba (Lorca)
Roberto Zucco, Road, Attempts on Her Life, The Wonderful World of Dissocia, Fen, Top Girls, Blue Remembered Hills, and several original documentary and verbatim plays.
OTHER TEACHING / LECTURING / COACHING includes:
- 2021: Adult acting at the Everyman Theatre, Cheltenham
- 2019: Working with 30 teachers on how to teach drama and acting with a focus on the classics (British Council/Staffordshire University) Shanghai, China.
- 2019: Adult Acting Classes at the Mitchell Arts Centre, Stoke
- 2016: Leading Selladoor Worldwide’s new writing programme (London).
- 2014, 2015, 2016: Tutor at AIMS International Music School, Eastbourne on opera and music theatre and acting through song. Opera Scenes from HAMLET, OBERON and THE TAMING OF THE SHREW alongside Alison Wells, Lesley-Anne Sammons and Richard Jackson; Leading the Musical Theatre course alongside Bryan Husband directing: COMPANY, INTO THE WOODS, WEST SIDE STORY and KISS ME KATE .
- 2014: Directing for the Stage: a summer school course for aspiring directors co-led with Richard Cheshire at Staffordshire University.
- 2013 Delivering workshops on creativity and directing in Bangkok, Thailand.
- 2005-2012 Arden School of Theatre Manchester: Acting Techniques and Director/Designer Relationship
- 2007-2013 Keele University: Creativity and Drama within the PGCE Curriculum.
- 2005-2006 and 2009 Manchester Metropolitan University: Community Theatre Practice
- 2003-2005 Expressions Academy: Acting Tutor on their Diploma.
- 1999 and 2004: Aberystwyth University: Community Theatre practice and directing The Visit.
- Plus… private classes (including LAMDA teaching), countless workshops across the UK and further afield- his favourite so far being leading a workshop on Documentary Theatre on a rooftop terrace in Cyprus!
- Summer Schools for young people led leading to public performances of Barnum, Seussical The Musical and Fiddler on the Roof.